Thursday, January 23, 2014

Crockpot chicken and dumplings

One of the first things I made was a crock pot meal. Gotta start off easy, right?

It turned out absolutely tasty! One commenter on the original site said that it tasted more like chicken pot pie. I'll agree with that.


Photo cred: Jenn Sill, http://bit.ly/1mtH70U

When I got to the step about making the roux - melting the butter in a saucepan and adding the flour and other tasty bits - I improvised. I melted the butter in the microwave and added the stuff to it. I didn't have everything ready to go, so the butter cooled a bit. This caused lumps of flour. Next time, I'll have the roux fixin's ready!

My dough balls ended up being slightly over-done, so following the instructions on that is key.

I got about 6 servings out of this recipe. I portioned them out into plastic containers, then popped them in the freezer. My commute is every bit of 2 hours, so I just toss a container in my bag and then put it in the fridge when I get to work and it's thawed enough to reheat for lunch.

Here's the original recipe, from the blog, Her View From Home:

http://herviewfromhome.com/crock-pot-chicken-n-dumplins/

No comments:

Post a Comment