Monday, January 27, 2014

Shirred eggs

How about some breakfast? I love eggs for breakfast. When I had a range, I would make a fried egg sandwich, or scrambled eggs for breakfast pretty much every day of the week. Yummm! I'm still working on how to do those without a range, though. What I can do now is make shirred eggs.

Oooh! Fancy! I love saying I make shirred eggs. It makes me feel classy. This is a super simple egg dish, and tastes so much more amazing than you'd think when you read the recipe.

Shirred eggs is another way of saying baked eggs. The basic recipe is 2 eggs, some heavy cream or milk, some cheese, and some add-ins. 

These ramekins are approximately 6 ounces each.


Butter your ramekin - making sure to get the sides.


If you have ham, Canadian bacon, or prosciutto put that on the bottom.


Add the milk or cream (I used 2% milk to make it slightly healthier)




 Crack 2 eggs in to the ramekin. 

The milk will sneak up the sides and hug the eggs.

Add your spices and toppings.

I added salt, pepper, parsley, and paprika...

...then I added bacon bits...

... and to top that all off, shredded cheddar cheese!


Next, bake your eggs at 325 °F for about 30 minutes until the eggs are just set. Make sure to keep an eye on the toaster oven, as each one varies. Your cooking time may be longer or shorter than mine.



I like my yolks firm, so if you prefer softer yolks, you'll want to bake for a shorter time.

And there you have it! Breakfast.

The finished product.


The full recipe (below) is for 4 servings. Baked eggs will keep for a maximum of 4 days in the fridge. 

If you plan to bake ahead, like I did, you'll want to under-bake your eggs a bit so that when you microwave them they won't be rubbery. I've found that 20 seconds at a time in the microwave until the eggs are warm does well.




Shirred Eggs

1 T butter or margarine
6 tsp heavy cream or milk, divided
8 eggs
salt & pepper to taste
paprika to taste
parsley to taste
4 T grated cheese, grated


Preheat the toaster oven to 300 °F.

Rub inside 6 ounce ramekin with butter. Coating bottom and sides.

Pour 2 tsp into each ramekin.

Crack 2 eggs into each ramekin.

Add salt, pepper, paprika, and parsley to each ramekin.

Add cheese to each ramekin.

Bake for 20 minutes or until eggs reach desired level of done.


No comments:

Post a Comment